Sunday, April 01, 2012

The 1940 census - Who will be in it?

Given that tomorrow is the "big day" (at least insofar as American genealogy is concerned), I thought I would consider who I will look for in the 1940 U.S. Federal census. Both my parents should be in it (single, as they married in 1943). So I'll be looking for Dad in Newark, New Jersey (this may be tough given the size of the city), and Mom in Newberry, South Carolina (much easier, as it was a small town and I know where she was living 10 years earlier). All 4 of my grandparents should be in it (Dad's parents in Newark, Mom's parents in Newberry), as well as both of my paternal great-grandmothers (probably both in Newark). After those essential 8 individuals, I can look for a large number of aunts and uncles and cousins. UPDATE: It looks like I'll want to be looking at ED 25-73 and ED 25-76 for Newark, as their border runs along Chambers Street, where a lot of my Smith ancestors lived.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Drew, I am with you1 Have made my list and now just waiting as the states come online, one-by-one...it's gonna be a long day!!

    ReplyDelete