Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Smith - Some concluding thoughts

1.  I like putting folks up on MyHeritage (and synced with Family Tree Builder), but I've no luck yet with matching anyone else with Smart Matches on my Smith line.  I may find that some of my other lines will have better luck in that area.

2.  I have a number of people to contact on Ancestry regarding my Smith line (at least one is someone I've been in some contact with for years), but I'm worried that most of them have simply copied their data from others, so it will be difficult to track down the originator.  The hints to sources were generally useful.

3.  I don't think I'll go forward with Geni.com at this point, considering that there are free alternatives.

4.  WeRelate and WikiTree were ok, but I probably won't see greater value until I am looking at my oldest lines. 

5.  The FamilySearch tree has been interesting.  I discovered some new sources for my Smiths, or sources that I didn't know had been indexed online, but I probably won't face having to untangle some mismatches until I get to my Bodie line (which won't be for a little while).  I enjoyed the process of looking for matches, choosing whether or not to merge them, and basically cleaning up some oddities (I found one of my set of direct Irish ancestors, not in the Smith line, that had been entered using Italian first names!  Very strange!). 

Now on to my Mom's direct line, the Martins.  A very different geography from my Smiths.

No comments:

Post a Comment